Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Playing Nice

Sorry for the brief absence, my husband and I just moved into our first home and as you can imagine we have been really busy.

With the move though I have been thinking about who our neighbors might be and what their beliefs may be and how that would influence our relationship with them. My husband and I would love to be good friends with our neighbors, but I can't help but be a little nervous that dream might be hindered by being Atheists.

As Atheists we are sometimes perceived by Christians as immoral corrupt people. This incorrect stereotype is spread not only from the pulpit of most churches, but also is repeated over and over in the Bible.

I feel that Atheists shouldn't stereotype Christians as they may stereotype us. Not all of them feel it is their duty to push their beliefs on every person that they meet. There are some that feel that God is very real, but also feel that not every person needs to believe in their God. Also as Atheists we shouldn't be rude with the way that we tell them that we don't believe the same things that they do. I know I hate it when Christians tell me that I am going to hell and that I am living in sin, but it doesn't help if I reply back with how stupid I think it is to believe in an invisible man.

I really wish that this wasn't an issue. I wish that this world was free from religion, but unfortunately that isn't the case. Now I am not saying that we shouldn't stand up for our rights, we still do need to fight when religious people try to change laws to push their world view. I am just saying that when our rights aren't being trampled we should be kind to those that believe differently than us. Why not try and kill them with kindness and change some of their opinions of us and then maybe try and change their minds about religion.