Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Wacky Wednesday

I thought it might be fun on Wednesdays to highlight the most absurd religious idea, article or whatever that I could find. I also would be more than willing to take suggestions, if you find something that you feel is utterly crazy free to e-mail it to me.

For todays post I would like to share an article from Answers in Genesis with you. This article is about defending their young earth view and explaining that if Christians didn't hold true to the young earth view then they were rejecting the Bible in favor of science.

The whole idea that the Earth is only a few thousand years old is so absurd that it makes my brain hurt. I am not going to spend time during this post explaining why the earth can't be only a few thousand years old since I feel that the majority of theists aren't holders of this crazy idea and there is already a lot of information available supporting the fact that science can be trusted when it comes to dating the Earth.

I would instead like to focus on the idea presented in the article that academic success shouldn't be celebrated. They are pushing the thought that Christians should close their minds to science and trust the Bible alone. I personally love to learn I am always trying to learn as much as I can about everything and anything. If the Bible were true why would the God be so worried about people learning as much as they could about this world?

There is a theme throughout the bible to just blindly believe like a child, don't question what God says. Christians are also likened to sheep. I know a lot of Christians that love to think of themselves as sheep. Do they realize what that means? Sheep don't think, they just follow orders blindly.

Don't strive be sheep! Strive to learn as much as you can! There is so much out there to learn and discover. Be very skeptical of anyone who says that everything should be accepted blindly with childlike faith, instead of testing it using scientifically proven methods.