Saturday, February 26, 2011

My Imaginary Friend Made Me Do It!

The myth story that this blog post is going to discuss can be read in Genesis 22:1-19. This is the story of Abraham being told by God to kill his son Isaac and then God calls it off just before Abraham is about to plunge his knife into Isaac. I heard this story for the first time when I was eight year old.  My Sunday school teacher told the story with a felt board and paper people.  Including, Abraham with a knife ready to stab his son Isaac who was tied to an alter.  By telling this chilling story with pictures it really came to life and terrified me.  I couldn't help but wonder what Isaac was thinking as his father raised the knife to kill him and was dumbfounded when he acted as if nothing had happened when God stopped his father from killing him. If I had been in Isaac's place I would have ran straight to the police or whatever the equivalent was back then as soon as I was untied from the alter. 

As the Skeptic's Annotated Bible points out, God knows everything, therefore, he would have known that Abraham would trust him. So, he didn't really need to put Isaac through this horrible experience. Also, I would think that this whole experience would show Abraham and Isaac that God is extremely wicked and doesn't deserve to be worshiped.

When my Sunday school teacher finished the story she explained to us that Abraham's actions showed that he had great faith in God's plan for him.  At eight years old I thought the story was extremely scary and wondered if my mom would kill me if God told her to.  Now, as an adult, I feel this story shows just how cruel the Christian God is.  When I hear people talk about how wonderful God is all I can think about is this story, Noah and the Ark, and some passages about children.  The Christian God is more evil than any character in all the books I have read or any movie that I have seen.

Which Bible story scares you the most? Have you ever had nightmares from a sermon or Sunday school lesson?

Here are some people making fun of the story, enjoy.