Monday, January 5, 2009

Wasted Time

I was thinking today about how wonderful my Christmas vacation was, I did what I wanted when I wanted. As I went back to work I heard so many people say that they had worked on Church Christmas parties and plays practically the whole break and didn't get to do things they really wanted to do.

I still look back and think about how much time I wasted and how many opportunities I may have missed out on because of religious activities. I know that if I had been able to work on Sunday's throughout high school I would have been able to make a lot more money to put towards college and other things that I wanted. I also would have qualified for a promotion and pay increase earlier.

Of course, at the time I didn't realize that I was wasting my time. I was brainwashed enough to think that by sacrificing my time to serve God I would be rewarded. I also did have fun socializing with all my friends during religious activities.

Even since I have come out to everyone as an atheist I have gone to a few religious activities because I didn't really want to rock the boat. Well, as another new year resolution I am not going to go to any religious activity that I don't want to. I feel that by going to religious activities now I am not only doing something I don't want to do I also giving false hope the Christians in my family. I really don't want to make them think that a sermon is going to change my mind.