Friday, September 24, 2010

What You Don't Know CAN Hurt You


Many teens think it is cool to be ignorant. They don't see the need to go to school because they have no desire to go to college or get a job that requires a college education. They also make fun of the students that take their education seriously. Unfortunately though, this isn't just limited to teens there are many adults that are knowingly ignorant. I feel that everyone should be lifetime learners. There are always new discoveries being unveiled and everyone should want to know as much as they can about each one.


When I told my friends and family that I was an atheist I e-mailed them information that explained why I no longer believed in God. I knew that none of them would deconvert, but I wanted them to understand my position better. I was disappointed though when almost all of them told me that they weren't going to read the information that I sent them because reading it could poison their minds and hurt their relationship with God. Their explanation didn't really shock me, I grew up in the very conservative church that my mom and sister still attend and I knew first hand what the church said about atheists and atheistic literature


Evolution is a topic that most conservative Christians just write off as false, without actually learning anything about it. After I became an atheist the first thing I wanted to learn about was evolution. Now I cant get enough of evolution, biology, and zoology. I have talked to a few young earth creationists recently and have told them about various animals and how they have evolved into the animal they are today. Except, I didn't use any evolution buzz words (for example: evolved, natural selection, or a specific time table). Then when they were interested the the animal and thought it was pretty cool how it adapted for its environment I would explain that what I just told them about is an example of evolution. They would then answer back that it can't be since evolution is false, so God did that. I hope though that I have gotten them thinking about evolution in a whole new light and maybe they will do some research on their own.


Since becoming an atheist I have been learning as much as I can to make up for all the lies I was told growing up. I know that the leaders of the church weren't intentionally lying to me, they were just repeating what they had been told. I am here to break the cycle of ignorance, are you?